Several tricks to understand the difference:
Port & Starboard on a Ship
- Port has four letters like “left”
Bread & Drink at a Table Setting
- Straighten your two index fingers and touch your two middle fingers to your thumbs.
- Your left hand creates a lower case “d” (i.e., drink)
- Your right hand creates a lower case “b” (i.e., bread)
Fork & Knife at a Table Setting
- Fork has four letters like “left”
- Knife has five letters like “right”
Left vs. Right
- Straighten your two index fingers straight up and push your thumbs out to be perpendicular to your index fingers
- Your left hand makes an “L” for left
- Your right hand does not.